, ,

Internet, accessibility and borders

The Internet represents an important progress in humanity, accessibility breaks down borders and allows us to have at the reach of a click the information that is processed on the other side of the world. Here the transformation of the great advances reflected in numbers: Digital Report 2023, reported that in an annual study conducted by We Are Social, the number of internet users in the world reached 5.16 billion people, representing 64.4% of the world’s population.


Internet sales have revolutionized the way companies operate, offering products 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With data analysis, organizations can better analyze their customers, identify trends, improve product quality and optimize production.


According to data from the fourth quarter of 2022 from the ENOE, in Mexico there were 342 thousand people working in the ICT field. Of these, 84% were men and 16% were women. The average age of people working in ICT was 36 years old. Of the people with this occupation, 42% were concentrated in the 30-39 age group. INEGI recorded that 85.8 million people use a Smartphone to connect to the Internet.

For its part, the Mexican Internet Association reports that people in Mexico use the Internet to perform the following activities in their daily lives:

– Sending instant messages and emails.

– Social networking.

– Watch movies or series.

– Listening to music.

– Online shopping.

Statistics point to significant progress on World Internet Day, which aims to promote the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to reduce the digital divide. In Mexico, women use the Internet more than men. INEGI recorded that of the total number of people using the Internet, 51.7% of them are women, while the other 48.3% are men.


The industrial sector has taken advantage of the digital era, an example of this is Industry 4.0, which is based on the integration of advanced technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI) and data analysis in manufacturing and production processes. Just as the advantages grow, vulnerabilities in operations become delicate as they are threatened by connectivity disruptions or by cyber security itself.


Increasingly, the wave of automation is reaching industrial, economic, social and everyday processes. Education and awareness on the subject is a task that must go hand in hand with the evolution of technology itself, guaranteeing the Internet as a safe tool for humanity.